Data theft is the illegal transfer or storage of any information that is confidential, personal, or financial in nature.
Data theft is considered a serious security and privacy breach, the consequences of which can be severe for individuals and businesses.
What can an organisation do to combat data theft?
- Implement appropriate access control measures to ensure that corporate files can only be accessed by legitimate end-users
- Encrypt confidential information so that if it is stolen it will be of no use.
- Restrict the ability to store files to alternate locations, such as offline USB storage or cloud locations
- Perform periodic security reviews of the devices and systems which can pose a high risk
- Implement multifactor authentication
- Use anti-malware software
- Train your staff in how to recognise and avoid common cybercriminal techniques
As part of the Cyber Security Malta, Tech.mt collaborates with the Malta Information Technology Agency (MITA) and the Malta Digital Innovation Authority (MDIA) to deliver educational video episodes about Security in the Digital Economy towards a safer future.